“Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing.” -Wernher von Braun
This term, we asked each SustainSU team to give us a little update on their projects in the 2017/18 year. Here’s what our Research Team had to say!
This year we are working on a new action plan for the Students Union Building. The plan identifies future goals for sustainability and updates accomplishments that the university has achieved over a period of 7 years.
A few facts we discovered while working on the research project:
- We increased the amount of recycled materials from 950 tons to 1,262 tons, while landfill materials went from 3,402 tons to 2,534 tons!
- We have introduced new flushes for our bathrooms in which less water is flushed when only a little water is sufficient for the job.
- The university has an ever-growing capacity for renewable energy. Currently, it is sitting at ~750kW. The university plans to continue incorporation of renewable energy generation, including solar photovoltaic, solar thermal heating and potentially some geothermal into our $35-million, seven-year Next Generation Energy Management Program.
- U of A’s Green House Gas emissions have decreased 7% between 2012/13 and 2015/16, which is the University’s first decrease in decades!
We should all applaud our university for the great accomplishments we have done in regards to developing and fulfilling sustainable alternatives.
– The Sustain SU Research Team